The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.
What is a Visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.)
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Nassau is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. Qualified Bahamian citizens are eligible to use the visa-free travel option through the pre-clearance facility at the Lynden Pindling International Airport in Nassau. You can find the requirements for visa-free preclearance travel at bs.usembassy.gov/preclearance/
To reach a customer service agent with questions about how to schedule or apply for a nonimmigrant visa:
- Call 1-242-603-1290 if in The Bahamas.
- Call +1 703-831-3448 if in the United States.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Skype calls: skype-bs_1
- Call center hours are from 9:00 A.M.- 5:00 P.M. Monday through Friday.
To contact the Consular Section:
- Nonimmigrant visa cases – VisaNassau@state.gov
- Immigrant visa cases – IVNassau@state.gov
- American Citizen Services – ACSNassau@state.gov
- Every effort is made to reply to all e-mails within two business days.
- The Consular Section does not offer assistance with the application website or interview scheduling.