Child and Family Matters

Adopting or Fostering a Child

Persons who have no children and are interested in expanding their family can adopt or provide foster care for children.


Eligibility is based on suitability of the following items related to the applicant:

  • Finances.
  • Health.
  • Living accommodations.
  • Clean Police Record.
  • Marriage Certificate if applicable.
  • Divorce Decree if applicable.
  • The applicant or one of the applicants has attained the age of 25 and is at least 21 years older than the infant.
  • The applicant has attained 18 years of age and is a relative to the infant.
  • The applicant is the mother or father of the child.


  1. The applicant visits the Placement Unit making a request to the Social Services Representative (SSR).
  2. The SSR conducts a preliminary interview to assess the applicant’s eligibility.
  3. The case is then assigned to another SSR.
  4. The SSR conducts an initial interview with the applicant(s).
  5. The SSR provides the applicant with a listing of all required documents.
  6. Following the initial interview, a home visit is conducted and an Adoption Home Study Report (AHSR) is compiled.
  7. The AHSR is presented to the Adoption Committee to make a decision.
  8. The applicant is then informed of the status.
  9. The child is then placed in the adoptive home.

Note: There will be Pre-adoptive Home Visits if the applicant(s) retain a lawyer to complete the process.

This service can be accessed at the following locations:

The Placement Unit
RND Plaza
John F. Kennedy Drive
New Providence
The Bahamas
Tel. (242) 323-0171 or 323-3859 or 364-9670
Opening hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.

Application Form(s) 

Application to become foster or adoptive parents.

Supporting Documents 

For Citizens

  • Passport.
  • Birth Certificate.
  • Police Record.
  • Current photos.
  • Motivational letter.
  • Completed medical form.

For non-citizens

  • Passport.
  • Birth Certificate.
  • Police Record.
  • Permanent Residency.
  • Current photos.
  • Motivational letter.
  • Completed medical form.

Turn-around time 

  •  The time frame varies depending on the submission of required documentation.


  • Applicants are allowed a minimum of six months to submit all documents.

Related Fee(s) 

  • There are no fees associated with this service.

For more information please contact 

Department of Social Services
Clarence Bain Building
Thompson Boulevard
New Providence
The Bahamas
Tel. (242)-502-6025

Outreach Centres
Department of Social Services
Nassau and Family Islands

Horseshoe Drive/Pitt Road
Oakes Field
Tel. (242) 322-7121/5
Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Wulff Road Centre
National Insurance Building
Tel. (242) 356-9391-4
Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Robinson Road Centre
Alexander House
Montell Heights
Tel. (242) 397-2524
Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Fox Hill Centre
Park Plaza
Fox Hill Round About
Tel. (242) 364-2200
Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Passports: Two-Parent Consent

Parental consent is required for U.S. passport applications for children under the age of 16. Further details can be found on our  Renew a Child’s Passport under the age of 16 page.

Births & Eligibility for a Consular Report of Birth

A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act. U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Find more information in our birth section.

International Parental Child Abduction

The Bahamas is/is not a Hague Convention Partner with regard to child abductions.  For in-depth information on the workings of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, visit the Department of State’s International Parental Child Abduction International Parental Child Abduction Page.