The U.S. Embassy in Nassau advises U.S. citizens residing in and traveling to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, to be aware of their surroundings and remain on heightened alert to avoid being a victim of crime. An increase in armed robbery, including violence against victims, remains a threat facing U.S. citizens in the Turks and Caicos. In the past year, a number of U.S. citizens have fallen victim to armed home invasions while in hotel rooms and private homes, as well as armed robbery while walking after dark. Two U.S. citizen victims were shot and seriously injured.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including while attending local events; avoid walking on roads and beaches after dark and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
Due to the surgical limitations of hospitals in Turks and Caicos, emergency care frequently requires medical evacuation to the United States. Check in advance with your insurance company that your health insurance covers the cost of medical evacuation to the United States, or obtain traveler’s insurance that offers such coverage.
If you are the victim of a crime abroad (including the loss or theft of a U.S. passport), you should immediately contact the local police (dial “911” or “999”) and obtain a police report. Contact with the Embassy should be made as soon as possible thereafter.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bahamas Specific Information and Turks and Caicos Islands Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Bahamas, located at 42 Queen Street (across from the British Colonial Hilton Hotel), Nassau; telephone: 242-322-1181; ACS unit fax: 242-356-7174; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov ; web page: https://bs.usembassy.gov. [Note: The Turks & Caicos U.S. Consular Agency is currently CLOSED. The Consular Agency is located at 2 Ventura Ct., Grace Bay Suite 102E, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands; telephone: 649-232-5713; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov .]
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.