U.S. citizens are advised that the U.S. Embassy in Nassau has placed the Sand Trap off limits to Embassy personnel and their families due to the ongoing association with known criminal elements and the recent shooting incident that killed one person and wounded two others. The establishment also is the launching point for various jet ski operators who are minimally regulated by the government and also associated with criminal activity such as sexual assault (for more information, see our related Security Message dated January 5, 2016). The Sand Trap is located on the north side of West Bay Street near the intersection of West Bay Street and Saint Albans Drive. The Embassy strongly recommends that U.S. citizens avoid frequenting this establishment.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bahamas Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Bahamas, located at 42 Queen Street (across from the British Colonial Hilton Hotel), Nassau; telephone: 242-322-1181; after hours emergency telephone: 242-357-7004; ACS unit fax: 242-356-7174; e-mail: ACSNASSAU@state.gov ; web page: https://bs.usembassy.gov. The Turks & Caicos Consular Agency is located at 2 Ventura Ct., Grace Bay Suite 102E, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. The Consular Agent is LeShelle Tull-Thomas (649-232-5713, TullThomasLS@state.gov).
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.