Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Nassau advises U.S. citizens to exercise vigilance due to an increase in reported crime in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
The Embassy is aware of five (5) recent armed robberies. Four of the armed robberies occurred in Providenciales, specifically in a hotel parking lot, outside of a short-term rental property, at a private residence, and in the isolated area of Split Rock (Pirate’s Cove). The fifth armed robbery took place in Grand Turk, in the vicinity of a short-term rental property.
In Providenciales, a burglary occurred at a short-term rental while the U.S. citizens were away from the property for a few hours. In other incidents, one U.S. citizen family’s rental car was stolen, while another U.S. citizen’s vehicle was burglarized.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Use caution when walking or driving at night
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt
- Remove all items of value from plain sight in your vehicle
- Review your personal security plans
- U.S. Embassy Nassau, The Bahamas
#42 Queen Street, Nassau
- U.S. Embassy Nassau webpage
For U.S. Citizens in an Emergency:
- Call State Department – Consular Affairs at:
1-888-407-4747 (when dialing from within the U.S.)
+1 (202) 501-4444 (when dialing from overseas)
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter