[Last Updated: September 21, 2021]
General Travel Requirements:
All travelers applying for admission to the United States via air or sea from The Bahamas must meet the following document requirements for admission to the United States.
- By air – All travelers (U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, Bahamians, and individuals of other nationalities) departing The Bahamas by air must possess a valid passport or Bahamian Travel Document. Some Bahamian travelers may not require a visa. Details can be found in the “CBP Preclearance Requirements” below.
- By sea – All travelers departing The Bahamas by sea must be in possession of a valid passport AND valid travel visa.
- Detailed information on the visa application process and requirements can be found at https://bs.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas.
CBP Preclearance Requirements:
Bahamian travelers departing Lynden Pindling International Airport in Nassau by air may apply for admission without a visa if they meet the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Preclearance requirements below. However, CBP has the final authority to determine eligibility to enter the United States.
- Traveling on a flight for which CBP completes immigration and customs inspections (currently, CBP Preclearance operates between 9:00am and 6:00pm). *Note – Bahamians traveling on to another country and expecting to transit the United States on their return will need a visa;
- Be in possession of a valid passport or Bahamian Travel Document listing nationality as Bahamian;
- Be traveling for business or pleasure (tourism, shopping, business meeting, etc.) for a short duration;
- Have no criminal record nor any legal ineligibility or inadmissibility as defined by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (click here);
- Have a police certificate issued within the past six months if 14 years of age or older.