Hurricane Season Alert – U.S. Embassy Nassau (May 23, 2018)
Location: Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico
Event: Hurricane Season in the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico begins June 1 and ends on November 30, 2018, though most tropical cyclones typically develop between May and October. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) recommends that those in hurricane-prone regions begin preparations for the upcoming seasons now.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Climate Prediction Centerfor the 2018 Hurricane forecast.
- Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bahamas Specific Information and Turks and Caicos Islands Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Bahamas, located at 42 Queen Street (across from the British Colonial Hilton Hotel), Nassau; telephone: 242-322-1181; ACS unit fax: 242-356-7174; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov ; web page: https://bs.usembassy.gov. [Note: The Turks & Caicos U.S. Consular Agency is currently CLOSED. The Consular Agency is located at 2 Ventura Ct., Grace Bay Suite 102E, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands; telephone: 649-232-5713; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov .]
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.