Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Nassau, The Bahamas – March 29, 2020
Location: The Bahamas
Event: March 30 Limited Flights to the U.S.; Cancellations by Major Airlines
Commercial Flights to the United States
For U.S. citizens seeking to return to the United States, flights continue to diminish. Please note these important updates:
- Delta Airlines has cancelled all flights to the United States from March 30 until May 2.
- United Airlines has cancelled all flights scheduled for March 30 and March 31.
- American Airlines has cancelled all flights for March 30 and 31.
The availability of flights to the United States continues to diminish and has the potential to cease at any moment and without notice due to a lack of passenger volume and due to the restrictions now in effect on incoming international flights. Please check with your airline. If you are a U.S. citizen in The Bahamas and you need to return to the United States, we urge you to leave now. U.S. citizens who choose to remain in The Bahamas should prepare to do so for an indefinite period of time.
The commercial flights to the U.S. on Monday, March 30 from The Bahamas are:
- Nassau to Fort Lauderdale at 9:10 a.m. – JetBlue #1894
- Nassau to Boston at 10:28 a.m. – JetBlue #910
- Nassau to JFK at 12:23 p.m. – JetBlue #2822
- Bimini to Fort Lauderdale at 2:15 p.m. – Silver Airways #145
- George Town, Exuma to Fort Lauderdale at 2:30 p.m. – Silver Airways #72
Private Charter Flights to the United States
Private charter airlines are available in The Bahamas and some operators have confirmed their ability to provide flights into the United States direct from the Family Islands. We encourage you to contact charter companies directly with questions regarding availability and cost.
- Air Care 1: aircareone.com, +1-502-242-7760
- All Bahamas Courier Services: +1-242-727-4165
- Island Wings – USA: +1-954-617-8804
- Makers Air – FXE: Info@makersair.com, +1-954-771-0330
- Trans Island Airways: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tropic Air Charters – FXE: Tropicaircharters@gmail.com; +1-954-267-0707
- Tropic Ocean Airways – FLL: Flytropic.com, +1-954-210-5569
- Tropix Air/Island Wings Ltd.: +1-242-424-4260
This list is in not an endorsement. Additional operators not listed above may be available.
The Embassy has been informed by the Bahamas’ Civil Aviation Authority that domestic commercial flights from the Family Islands to Nassau are not authorized under the current emergency orders. Any international commercial flights currently scheduled to provide direct flights to the U.S. or Canada must arrive to The Bahamas empty. As we have seen, passenger volume has led many flights to be canceled with little or no notice.
On March 23, the Prime Minister of The Bahamas announced additional measures in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. These additional measures include closing all airports of The Bahamas to incoming international flights carrying visitors, effective March 24 (including private airports). These entry restrictions were broadened March 27 to include all incoming passengers, including Bahamian citizens and residents. On March 30, the Bahamas’ House of Assembly will debate a resolution on extending the current emergency powers orders to combat the spread of COVID-19 until April 8 – including airport restrictions.
Please remember that evacuation flights by the U.S. government do not reflect standard practice and should not be relied upon. U.S. citizens should make plans using charter and commercial travel options while they are available, and do so immediately.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions and regulations coming from the Bahamian government; please consult https://covid19.gov.bs for the latest information on COVID-19 from the Government of The Bahamas.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and recommendations for travelers and high-risk populations.
- See the CDC’s latest recommendations for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 Information Page for information on conditions in The Bahamas.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for the most up-to-date information on travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Nassau, The Bahamas
#42 Queen Street, Nassau
For U.S. Citizens in an Emergency
Call State Department – Consular Affairs at
1 888-407-4747 (when dialing from within the U.S.)
+1 (202) 501-4444 (when dialing from overseas)
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.