Location: The Bahamas
Event: March 29 – Limited Flight Availability to the United States
Commercial Flights to the United States
For U.S. citizens seeking to return to the United States tomorrow, Sunday, March 29, following are the limited commercial flight options:
- Bimini to Fort Lauderdale at 2:15 p.m. – Silver Airways
- Freeport to Fort Lauderdale at 2:20 p.m. – Silver Airways
- Nassau to Houston at 2:55 p.m. – United Airlines
- Nassau to Tampa at 3:15 p.m. – Silver Airways
- Nassau to Atlanta at 3:39 p.m. – Delta
- North Eleuthera to Fort Lauderdale at 1:10 p.m. – Silver Airways
The availability of flights to the United States has diminished considerably and has the potential to cease at any moment and without notice due to a lack of passenger volume and due to the restrictions now in effect on incoming international flights. Please check with your airline. If you are a U.S. citizen in The Bahamas and you need to return to the United States, we urge you to leave now. U.S. citizens who choose to remain in The Bahamas should prepare to do so for an indefinite period of time.
Private Charter Flights to the United States
Private charter airlines are available in The Bahamas and some operators have confirmed their ability to provide flights into the United States direct from the Family Islands. We encourage you to contact charter companies directly with questions regarding availability and cost.
- Air Care 1: aircareone.com, +1-502-242-7760
- All Bahamas Courier Services: +1-242-727-4165
- Island Wings – USA: +1-954-617-8804
- Makers Air – FXE: Info@makersair.com, +1-954-771-0330
- Trans Island Airways: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tropic Air Charters – FXE: Tropicaircharters@gmail.com; +1-954-267-0707
- Tropic Ocean Airways – FLL: Flytropic.com, +1-954-210-5569
- Tropix Air/Island Wings Ltd.: +1-242-424-4260
This list is in not an endorsement. Additional operators not listed above may be available.
The Embassy has been informed by the Bahamas’ Civil Aviation Authority that domestic commercial flights from the Family Islands to Nassau are not authorized under the current emergency orders. Any international commercial flights currently scheduled to provide direct flights to the U.S. or Canada must arrive to The Bahamas empty. As we have seen, passenger volume has led many flights to be canceled with little or no notice. Furthermore, Bahamian officials have publicly discussed the likelihood of extending this emergency order until the end of April. As a result, it could be several weeks or longer until commercial flights to these islands return.
On March 23, the Prime Minister of The Bahamas announced additional measures in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. These additional measures include closing all airports of The Bahamas to incoming international flights carrying visitors, effective March 24 (including private airports). These entry restrictions were broadened March 27 to include all incoming passengers, including Bahamian citizens and residents.
We cannot predict if, or for how long, the Bahamian government may extend these orders. However, Bahamian government officials have already publicly discussed the likelihood of extending the emergency powers orders to combat the spread of COVID-19 for the entire month of April – including airport restrictions.
Please remember that evacuation flights by the U.S. government do not reflect standard practice and should not be relied upon. U.S. citizens should make plans using charter and commercial travel options while they are available, and do so immediately.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions and regulations coming from the Bahamian government; please consult https://covid19.gov.bs for the latest information on COVID-19 from the Government of The Bahamas.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and recommendations for travelers and high-risk populations.
- See the CDC’s latest recommendations for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 Information Page for information on conditions in The Bahamas.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for the most up-to-date information on travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Nassau, The Bahamas
#42 Queen Street, Nassau
For U.S. Citizens in an Emergency
Call State Department – Consular Affairs at
1 888-407-4747 (when dialing from within the U.S.)
+1 (202) 501-4444 (when dialing from overseas)
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.