[Last Updated on August 5, 2020]
This information is updated regularly at our consolidated COVID-19 information page.
Sign up to receive these health and safety alerts directly to your inbox from the U.S. Embassy in Nassau.
14-Day National Lockdown commencing Tuesday, August 4 at 10:00pm
On August 3, the Prime Minister of The Bahamas announced a two-week national lockdown, effective Tuesday, August 4, at 10 pm, in response to the increased number of COVID-19 cases. Toward the end of the 14 day lockdown, Bahamian authorities would assess health data and decide whether to extend the lockdown, he said. He also announced that the Bahamian government would reassess the current lockdown on Grand Bahama Island closer to its scheduled end on Friday, August 7, at 5 am, and decide whether to extend those restrictions.
The Embassy strongly encourages you to review the specific lockdown guidance available at https://opm.gov.bs/national-address-3-august-2020/ and https://www.facebook.com/opmbs/, and to check those pages regularly for updates before you travel. This guidance includes the operational hours of services such as grocery stories as well as guidance on activities permitted and not permitted during the lockdown.
Actions to Take
- Follow the instructions and regulations coming from the Bahamian government; please consult https://opm.gov.bs/national-address-3-august-2020/ and https://www.facebook.com/opmbs/ for the latest information on COVID-19 from the Government of The Bahamas.
- For questions, contact the Ministry of Tourism COVID-19 travel hotline at +1-242-502-0829, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm EST.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and recommendations for travelers and high-risk populations.
- See the CDC’s latest recommendations for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Visit the State Department’s COVID-19 crisis page for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for up-to-date information on travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Nassau, The Bahamas
#42 Queen Street, Nassau / +1-242-322-1181
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1 (888) 407-4747 (when dialing from within the U.S.)
+1 (202) 501-4444 (when dialing from overseas)