Location: The Bahamas
Event: Bahamian Government Closes All Airports and Seaports
On March 23, 2020, at 7:00pm, the Prime Minister of The Bahamas announced additional measures in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. These additional measures include closing all airports in The Bahamas to incoming international flights carrying visitors, starting at 9:00am on Tuesday, March 24 (including private airports), until March 31, 2020. We cannot predict if, or for how long, the Bahamian government may extend these orders.
If you are a U.S. citizen in The Bahamas and you need to return to the United States we urge you to leave now. Do not wait; work with your airline to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. We cannot predict how long they will remain available, even before the new measures go into effect. U.S. citizens who choose to remain in The Bahamas should prepare to do so for an indefinite period of time.
The additional measures also include a 24-hour curfew throughout The Bahamas, requiring all persons to remain in their homes, with very few and specific exceptions. Beaches, public gathering places, and all non-essential businesses will be closed. Read the full details and all existing emergency orders at https://www.facebook.com/opmbs/. Grocery stores, pharmacies, and other essential businesses will be excepted, as well as persons transiting to and from those locations during the hours of 5:00am to 9:00pm.
Please remember that evacuation and charter flights by the U.S. government do not reflect standard practice, and should not be relied upon. U.S. citizens should make plans using commercial travel options while they are available, and do so immediately.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the instructions and regulations coming from the Bahamian government; please consult https://covid19.gov.bs for the latest information on COVID-19 from the Government of The Bahamas.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and recommendations for travelers and high-risk populations.
- See the CDC’s latest recommendations for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 Information Page for information on conditions in The Bahamas.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website for the most up-to-date information on travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Nassau, The Bahamas
U.S. Embassy Nassau webpage
- For U.S. Citizens In an Emergency
Call State Department – Consular Affairs at
1 888-407-4747 (when dialing from within the U.S.)
+1 (202) 501-4444 (when dialing from overseas)
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter