Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens:
September 18, 2017
The State Department warns U.S. citizens of the approach of Hurricane Maria, currently a Category 3 storm, and recommends U.S. citizens avoid non-essential travel to the Turks and Caicos Islands.
The National Hurricane Center (NHC; www.nhc.noaa.gov) reports that Hurricane Maria is headed for the Turks and Caicos Islands. U.S. citizens residing and traveling in coastal areas in this region should be alert to flooding and high winds.
Given the approaching hurricane, there is limited time available for a safe departure. We recommend U.S. citizens depart the Turks and Caicos Islands if possible and work with commercial air carriers to leave prior to the arrival of the hurricane. Airports will close once conditions deteriorate and safe travel is not possible. We recommend those citizens who are unable to depart to shelter in place in a secure location.
Travelers should apprise family and friends in the United States of their whereabouts, and keep in close contact with their tour operator, hotel staff, and local officials for evacuation instructions. Travelers should also protect their travel and identity documents against loss or damage, as the need to replace lost documentation could hamper or delay return to the United States.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bahamas Specific Information and Turks and Caicos Islands Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in The Bahamas, located at 42 Queen Street (across from the British Colonial Hilton Hotel), Nassau; telephone: 242-322-1181; ACS unit fax: 242-356-7174; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov ; web page: https://bs.usembassy.gov. [Note: The Turks & Caicos U.S. Consular Agency is currently CLOSED. The Consular Agency is located at 2 Ventura Ct., Grace Bay Suite 102E, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands; telephone: 649-232-5713; e-mail: ACSNassau@state.gov .]
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.