In The Bahamas, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program is administered by the U.S. Embassy. The Embassy re-launched the Fulbright Foreign Student Program in 2019. The scholarship gives Bahamian citizens the opportunity to complete a Master’s or PhD at a higher education institution in the United States.
The U.S. – Bahamas Fulbright program aims to foster cultural understanding between our two countries. Therefore, preference is given to applicants who do not have extensive experience (six months or longer) in the United States.
Applicants with extensive U.S. experience should explain in detail how further experience in the U.S. will fulfil the Fulbright mission in ways that their prior visits did not.
The call for the Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship 2021 – 2022 is open until midnight Eastern Daylight Time on July 31, 2020. Applications will not be received after the deadline.
Am I eligible for this scholarship?
People who meet all these requirements are eligible:
- Have graduated with a bachelor’s degree, BA / BS or master’s degree (or equivalent).
- Have a grade point average of 3.5 or above.
- Possess leadership skills, high motivation and ease to adapt to new situations.
- Demonstrate commitment to your community through community service, volunteering or other activities.
- Be a citizen of The Bahamas.
- Do not have United States citizenship or permanent residence in the United States.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have minimal experience in the United States.
- Be eligible for a J1 visa.
- Commit to return to The Bahamas for two years after completing studies in the United States.
- Application for all disciplines will be considered, however, preferences will be given to those applying for science, technology, engineering, arts, math, and agriculture.
This is a highly competitive program so applications for candidates who do not meet all these requirements will not be considered.
How can I apply?
The application period is open until midnight, Eastern Daylight Time, on July 31, 2020.
The selection process has several phases:
- Online application: the candidate must complete this process and upload the required documents to the platform.
- Interviews: At the end of the application period, the people selected for the second phase called in for an interview. If you were not called for an interview this means you did not pass the first phase.
- The panel will be inform all applicants interviewed whether or not they were selected for the program.
Please have the following documents ready to scan for your online application:
- Information page of your passport.
- Copy of the bachelor’s degree / BA / BS / master’s or graduation certificate.
- Statement of professional and academic goals.
- Three letters of recommendation. Review instructions on the platform on how to upload them.
What expenses does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship covers the costs of the visa, travel, accommodation, university tuition costs, GRE testing and medical insurance. Students from the Bahamas are eligible for funding for up to 22 months (two academic years). Candidates who seek a doctoral degree will be required to secure funding for the remaining portion of their program, through either university funding, scholarships or personal funding. More information can be found at: https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/foreign-fulbright