An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

The birth of a child in The Bahamas or the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCIs) to a U.S. citizen parent (or parents) should be reported as soon as possible to the U.S. Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Nassau for the purpose of assessing the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) of a Citizen of the United States of America, Form FS-240.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option. CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.


Eligibility Requirements

To apply, your child must have been born in THE BAHAMAS or TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS and you must travel to U.S. EMBASSY, NASSAU for the in-person interview. The U.S. citizen parent (or one of two U.S. citizen parents) and the child must be present at the Embassy. If you would like to apply for your child’s first U.S. passport at the same time, the parent(s) listed on the birth certificate must be present.

In order to determine the child’s citizenship under the appropriate provisions of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted on the day of your appointment:

  • Completed DS-2029 CRBA application form.
  • Original foreign birth certificate of applicant child.
  • Evidence of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship).
  • A passport or government issued Photo ID of both parents must be presented as proof of identity.
  • Parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable.
  • Evidence of the termination of any previous marriages of either parent (divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate).
  • Proof of Physical Presence in the U.S. by the U.S. citizen parent which documents their time spent in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth.

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), the U.S. citizen parent transmitting citizen must provide documented proof of physical presence in the United States  (all prior to the child’s birth). Acceptable documents for proof of presence are U.S. school transcripts, employment records, W2s, bank records, Social Security Statements, medical bills, rent receipts, or other official public documents.  Evidence of time spent abroad working for the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces (DD-214) or qualifying international organization, or as a dependent child of a person working abroad for such entities prior to the birth of the child is also acceptable in some cases. If a CRBA was previously issued to other siblings, then please bring that certificate as well. Please review the U.S. presence transmission requirements prior to your appointment

eCRBA Requirements

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. EMBASSY, NASSAU.  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).


How to Apply


eCRBA Application Steps


Step #1: To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account.  MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.

Step #2: Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist above.

Step #3: Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at U.S. EMBASSY, NASSAU Please schedule your appointment at least 72 hours after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview.  Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.

Step #4: Attend you scheduled in-person interview with your original documents and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.

Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.


Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.

Need Help?

We are here to help!

Other Important Information

Note:  If you prefer to submit a paper-based application, please follow post procedures. 

Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately.  We encourage you to apply for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time you make the CRBA application. Both parents and the child must be present, and the following additional documents should be submitted:

  • Completed DS-11 passport application form.
  • One passport photo 2×2 inches in size taken within the last 6 months (click here to check other passport photo requirements);
  • Valid government issued ID for the parent(s).

CRBA AND PASSPORT FEES: The fee for a CRBA application is $100.00. The fee for a passport book is $135.00 (under age 16) or $165.00 (if the applicant is 16 or 17 years old.) Payment may be made in cash, in U.S. dollars or Bahamian dollars (the currencies cannot be mixed), by credit card [Mastercard or Visa], or by bank draft payable “U.S. Embassy Nassau.”  We cannot accept personal checks. Fees are nonrefundable.

Note: The age limit for a CRBA is 18 years. If you are 18 years of age or older and are applying for U.S. citizenship through your parent(s), then please contact our office via U.S. Citizens Services Navigator or 242-322-1181 to inquire about the application requirements.

Note: An application for a Social Security Number can only be submitted after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Passport. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Santo Domingo. For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: Santo Domingo. Alternatively, you can visit a Social Security Office in the United States to apply. You can find more information here.

Click here to schedule an appointment at U.S. Embassy Nassau. Please arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive more than 15 minutes early or more than 15 minutes later than your scheduled appointment time, you will be denied access to the Embassy.

If you have any questions, you can contact us at U.S. Citizens Services Navigator or 242-322-1181.