General Travel Requirements
All travelers applying for admission to the United States via air or sea from The Bahamas must meet the following document requirements for admission to the United States.
- By air – All travelers (U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, Bahamians, and individuals of other nationalities) departing The Bahamas by air must possess a valid passport or Bahamian Travel Document. Some Bahamian travelers may not require a visa. Details can be found in the “CBP Preclearance Requirements” below.
- By sea – All travelers departing The Bahamas by sea must be in possession of a valid passport AND valid travel visa.
- Detailed information on the visa application process and requirements can be found at https://bs.usembassy.gov/visas/.
CBP Preclearance Requirements
Bahamian travelers departing Lynden Pindling International Airport in Nassau by air may apply for admission without a visa if they meet the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Preclearance requirements below. However, CBP has the final authority to determine eligibility to enter the United States.
- Traveling on a flight for which CBP completes immigration and customs inspections (currently, CBP Preclearance operates between 6:00am and 7:00pm). *Note – Bahamians traveling on to another country and expecting to transit the United States on their return will need a visa;
- Be in possession of a valid passport or Bahamian Travel Document listing nationality as Bahamian;
- Be traveling for business or pleasure (tourism, shopping, business meeting, etc.) for a short duration;
- Have no criminal record nor any legal ineligibility or inadmissibility as defined by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (click here);
- Have a police certificate issued within the past six months if 14 years of age or older.