An official website of the United States government

Apply for a Child’s Passport (for Applicants Under Age 16)

Each U.S. citizen – even a newborn — must have his or her own U.S. passport when traveling abroad.  Passports issued to children under the age of 16 are valid for a maximum of five years.  The applicant (i.e. the child) must apply in person, and must be accompanied by the parent(s) listed on the child’s U.S. Birth Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or accompanied by the legal guardian(s).

In general, the parent(s) listed on the birth certificate or the legal guardian(s) listed must accompany the child to the embassy to sign the child’s passport application. (If only one parent is listed on the birth certificate, then only that parent needs to accompany the child and sign the application.)  The parents/guardians must present their own valid government issued photo ID.  Please note: If your name is no longer the same as shown on your child’s birth certificate, you will need to bring evidence of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate or court order.)

If one parent listed on the birth certificate is unable to accompany the child, that parent must complete a Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent for the issuance of a passport for the child.  Please note: Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent must be signed and notarized, and presented by the other parent/guardian along with a copy of the absent parent’s ID (i.e. passport or driver’s license). If the child only has one living parent or only one legal custodial parent, you must provide documentary evidence of that fact (such as a court decree granting sole custody, a death certificate of the other parent, etc.)

The following documents/items must be presented on the day of your appointment:

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. Birth Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, Consular Report of Birth Abroad);
  • The child’s current or recently expired U.S. passport;
  • A completed form DS-11 (including the social security number);
  • One passport photo 2×2 inches in size taken within the last 6 months (click here to check other passport photo requirements);
  • Valid government issued ID for the parent(s) or legal guardian(s);
  • If the child was under 5 years of age when their last U.S. passport was issued, please bring a series of age progression photos (one for each year) from the age that the prior passport was issued through the present.

PASSPORT FEE: The fee for a minor’s passport book application is $135.00. The fee for a child’s passport card is $15.00. Payment may be made in cash, in U.S. dollars or Bahamian dollars (the currencies cannot be mixed), by credit card [Mastercard or Visa], or by bank draft payable “U.S. Embassy Nassau.”  We cannot accept personal checks. Passport fees are nonrefundable.

LOST OR STOLEN PASSPORTS: If your child’s last issued U.S. passport was lost or stolen, also complete form DS-64. If the passport was stolen, bring a copy of a police report regarding theft of that passport.

Note: If your child has never previously been issued a U.S. passport, contact us via ACSNassau@state.gov or 242-322-1181 to inquire about possible additional application requirements.

Click here to schedule an appointment at U.S. Embassy Nassau. Please arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive more than 15 minutes early or more than 15 minutes later than your scheduled appointment time, you will be denied access to the Embassy.

If you have any questions you can contact us at ACSNassau@state.gov or 242-322-1181.